Sunday, February 21, 2010

Who do you want to be?

Well, I was woken up from my peaceful Sunday nap today when the home teachers stopped by. I will admit i wasn't too happy to be woken up because i DO love my Sunday naps, but in the end I got some good spiritual enlightenment so it was worth it.

While we were talking about the First Presidency Message from the Ensign this month, Courtney mentioned how she liked a line that said "in the search for your best selves...". We talked a little about how this life is really a time for us to become our best selves. It's not a time for us to get by by doing as little as we can to be good people...it's about trying our hardest to be the BEST we can be every day. It's about growing every day so that when this life is over we will have become the best possible person we can be.

One of my home teachers said that one day he decided to make a plan of who he wanted to be in the future. He made a 5, 10, and 20 year plan. And this wasn't just a plan of "I want to be married and have 5 kids and a good job"....It was more than that. It was who do i want to be spiritually? What can I do to become the best version of me in the next 5,10,and 20 years? Sure we all want to have a family and a steady career, but we can't exactly MAKE that happen...sometimes things don't work out the way we want them to. But when it comes to our spiritual, emotional, and mental selves...that we CAN make happen. That is something that we CAN do on our own (with the help of God of course).

It really made me think because any time i think about the future i admit I'm one who just makes the "i want to be married with 5 kids" goals. But I think we all need to spend a little more time making goals just just ourselves.

Because it's like my Marriage and Family professor always says "to become a better husband, wife, child, friend, etc.....we must first become better disciples of Jesus Christ" when you are being a disciple of Jesus Christ, those other things will come naturally. Your other relationships will be strengthened and it can make each of us a little happier.

I think I definitely need to take some time to be come a better version of ME. I think we all probably do. No matter where we are in life...there's always time to improve.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Okay Katie, between you and Michael tonight I am in tears. I know that probably sounds crazy but you guys both inspired me. Michael's letter this week was like..."who is this kid"? I am amazed at what awesome people you kids are becoming...I love you!

Tom & Katie Hall said...

I just read his e-mail. It definitely seems to be the theme of the day doesn't it? Thanks Lisa! i love you and i miss you!

Ali Taylor said...

I needed to read this. THank you so so much for sharing!