Thursday, December 2, 2010

Seeing as BYU is an LDS school...

You would think they would have more sympathy for students who need to go home a semester before their mission to make money to actually be able to go on the mission...but no, they discontinue you if you leave before you actually have your mission call, and then when you come back you have to reapply, a pretty risky move i'd say. And even worse they won't let you continue at home doing independent study while you work.
Don't get me wrong, BYU is great, but some people just can't afford to pay a million dollars for books AND be able to help pay for their mission, which i would really like to be able to do.
I need to find a class that's .5 credits that i could do from home NOT through independent study...hmmmmm any ideas?

4 comments:

Megan said...

Do they have any classes that are only a couple weeks long? Some of the basic computer classes at Sac State were only 4 weeks long, I think.

Good luck figuring it out!

riss said...

If you do a block class you would only have to be here for half the semester and could then go work the rest of the time...

Lisa said...

Well, if it helps, you can always live here with us for free while you are preparing for your mission if you need to stay at BYU in Provo! Love you!

Meg and Joe said...

You know what, re-applying wasn't as scary as it sounds. I had to do that before my mission. I too had to work and save my money. If your grades are decent, you shouldn't have any problem. If I remember right, I reapplied before I even left school. So I knew ahead of time what my options are. So, What I did was a reapplied FIRST, and then deferred my admission for the mission. That way I didn't have to worry about my enrollment on my mission at all. You should check out that option. That way you can work and not have to worry about classes.