Monday, November 3, 2008

Learning to Love Learning

Well today has been quite a day.
I went to my 8 o'clock class.
went to breakfast at the scoreboard grill (french toast and bacon...yummm :) )
Then i came home.
took a shower, did 3 loads of Laundry (it's been a while)
I did my living prophets hmwk...which took forever.
I went grocery shopping (again, it's been a LONG while)
Then i came home and finished my final draft of my english research paper.
I had to fix it up a whole lot because i didn't really spend that much time on my rough draft.
Anyway...
so now i just finished all that.
and i have noteworthy rehearsal in about 30 mins....until 11.
i'm hoping to get to bed right when i get home tonight...because i need my sleep.
i've had heartburn ALL day today for some reason...which is REALLY weird.
i've NEVER had it before...so i don't even have anything to take for it.
i just need some sleep...
so hopefully i get to bed earlier than usual tonight.


but yeah so for my Living Prophets Hmwk tonight.
we had 3 talks we had to read...
all of them were about education and such.
and there was one i really liked by Elder Bednar.
it was called
"Learning to Love Learning"
kind of ironic considering what i just posted the other day.
I DEFINITELY need to learn to love learning.

There were a few things I really liked about this...so i thought i'd put them up for those of you who are like me and need to learn to love learning...

"Learning to love learning is central to the gospel of Jesus Christ,
is vital to our ongoing spiritual and personal development,
and is an absolute necessity in the world in which we
do now and will yet live, serve, and work."

The Savior said, “Learn of me, and listen to my words;
walk in the meekness of my Spirit, and
you shall have peace in me” (D&C 19:23).

The Holy Ghost reveals and witnesses the truth of all things
and brings all things to our remembrance. The Holy
Ghost is the teacher who kindles within us an abiding
love of and for learning.

Some facts are helpful or interesting to know.
Some knowledge is useful to learn and apply.
But gospel truths are essential for us to understand
and live if we are to become what our
Heavenly Father yearns for us to become.

You and I are here upon the earth to prepare for eternity,
to learn how to learn, to learn things that are temporally
important and eternally essential, and to assist others
in learning wisdom and truth (see D&C 97:1).
Understanding who we are, where we came from,
and why we are upon the earth places upon each
of us a great responsibility both to learn how to learn
and to learn to love learning.

As we press forward in life—spiritually, interpersonally,
and professionally—no book of answers is readily
available with guidelines and solutions to the great
challenges of life. All we have is our capacity to learn
and our love of and for learning.

My knowledge is, if you will follow the teachings of Jesus Christ and his Apostles, as recorded in the New Testament, every man and woman will be put in possession of the Holy Ghost. . . . They will know things that are, that will be, and that have been. They will understand things in heaven, things on the earth, and things under the earth, things of time, and things of eternity, according to their several callings and capacities. [JD 1:243] - Brigham Young


anyway i just REALLY loved this talk. so i thought i'd share it with you.

LOVE.

Katie

2 comments:

Cindy Jensen said...

Katie,
This is such a great reminder also of what a blessing it is that you are able to go to a school that teaches you things of an eternal nature. I am grateful that you are at BYU where you are being taught the words of living prophets. Again such a blessing - I love you! And you are also learning so much about life and that it is hard and stressful but then it makes you appreciate the good times so much more. Give yourelf a big hug from me. Love you a bushel and peck. MOM

Anonymous said...

Liked your Learn to Love Learning blog. I learned this from your dad. If you haven't noticed, he loves to learn. Always has and is exited to learn. Pretty Awesome.

Anyway, thought I would say hi. Also, I wanted to know if Noteworthy is ever going to have concerts on Monday's or Saturday nights. I have wanted to see you guys perform for a while, but they are always on nights I work. I see there is one that you are opening for in December. We might make it out for that. I assume that you don’t want to have them on family night and Saturday nights are date night or something.

Anyway, let me know when you guys can come up some day for dinner or something. Love ya.

Jared